Senior Sustainability Officer
|Open Date||Sep 09 2021 - 10:10:00 AM||Close Date||Oct 01 2021 - 04:00:00 PM|
|Position Title||Senior Sustainability Officer||Posting Type||Regular Full Time|
|Posting Status||Active||Position Length||Regular|
|Department Group||Office of the CAO||Hours per Week||35 hours per week|
|Department||Office of the CAO||Openings||1|
|Education||Bachelor's Degree||Experience||4 - 7 years|
|Salary Range||$84,470 - $105,590|
The City of Waterloo has an exciting opportunity for a Senior Sustainability Officer to join our team.
Reporting within the CAO’s Office, the Senior Sustainability Officer will lead corporate and community sustainability plans and actions, with a significant focus on climate change action.
- Research, analyze, evaluate, recommend, develop, implement, and monitor short, medium, and long range plans and actions that contribute to the City’s sustainability framework
- Lead and champion the development and implementation of the City’s first Corporate Climate Action Plan (CorCAP)
- Lead, champion, and recommend actions from environmental plans and strategies from across the organization (eg. Energy Conservation Demand Management Plan (2019)) and within the community (eg. TransformWR) based on the City’s greenhouse gas emission targets of 50% by 2030 and 80% by 2050 to appropriate departments, divisions, budgets, and work plans
- Monitor forecasts and interim targets established by the City and other relevant governments and work collaboratively to implement recommended mitigation strategies and tools to achieve greenhouse gas reduction targets
- Ensure work complies with, aligns or exceeds existing international, national, and provincial frameworks, legislation, and targets
- Identify funding sources, collaborate on applications, apply, manage project/program funding, monitor/evaluate and report on project/program progress to funders
- Act as the staff liaison for the City of Waterloo Sustainability Advisory Committee (SAC) and Sustainable Waterloo Region
- Maintain positive relations across the organization, and within the community, post-secondary institutions and other levels of government and agencies in order to advance the corporate and community sustainability agenda for the corporation
- Develop, implement and maintain a corporate environmental sustainability report card to track progress in achieving environmental sustainable goals and objectives
- Act as the primary contact and provide information to the public and external agencies on matters related to the City’s sustainability initiatives and actions
- Evaluate proposed sustainability measures to prioritize investment through life cycle costing, cost/benefit analysis or other matrix prior to implementation
- Research, synthesize and communicate new or emerging ideas and practices in the realm of environmental sustainability and make recommendations where appropriate
- Other duties as assigned
- Four year honours degree in Environmental Science or related field with 4-7 years of progressive experience and leadership in the field of sustainability with a focus on environmental sustainability; equivalent combinations of education and related experience will be considered
- Advanced and comprehensive knowledge of sustainability as it relates to climate change, energy, water, and waste management
- Advanced knowledge of sustainability legislation including but not limited to the Conservation and Energy Efficiency, Waste-Free Ontario Act, The Paris Agreement, and provincial and regional planning frameworks and mandates
- Advanced knowledge of industry standards (i.e. greenhouse gas emission standards) and measurement systems
- Strong analytical and written communication skills to prepare strategic as well as technical documents such as sustainability plans, business cases, reports, issue papers, and grant submissions
- Strong presentation skills to effectively communicate progress of sustainability plans and programs to senior leadership, Council, the media, and other levels of government
- Project management and leadership skills to plan and implement sustainability projects, programs, and initiatives across the organization
- Proven ability to engage with internal staff, the public, and other external parties and agencies on sustainability initiatives to generate interest and participation
- Ability to monitor and keep up-to-date on emerging trends, technologies, and environmental concerns or issues
- MS Office skills
*The successful incumbent will be eligible to apply for a hybrid remote working arrangement, subject to Manager approval
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter in one document through the online application process. For posting and application details please visit: www.waterloo.ca/careers
All qualified City of Waterloo employees may apply, however during the selection process there is a specific sequence that will be followed. Members of the City of Waterloo Staff Association who have completed their probationary period in their most recent position will be considered first for this posting.
Be You @ Waterloo
At the City of Waterloo, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. All interested and qualified candidates, including Indigenous persons, Black persons, non-Black racialized persons/persons of colour, women, persons with disabilities, 2SLGBTQ+ and those interested in joining our team are encouraged to apply.
The City of Waterloo is committed to creating and maintaining a workplace that is welcoming, inclusive, and barrier-free. Accommodations in accordance with the Human Rights Code and other applicable legislation are available throughout all stages of the recruitment process. For accommodation during the application process, applicants are requested to make their needs known via email at email@example.com, quoting the position and competition number. Applicants advanced through to subsequent stages of the recruitment process will be provided with additional opportunities to make their needs known.