HVAC/R 313A & Gas Technician 1
|Open Date||Sep 09 2021 - 09:49:00 AM||Close Date||Sep 24 2021 - 04:00:00 PM|
|Position Title||HVAC/R 313A & Gas Technician 1||Posting Type||Regular Full Time|
|Posting Status||Active||Position Length||Regular|
|Department Group||Facilities Design Management||Hours per Week||40 hours/week*|
|Education||High School Diploma||Experience||5 - 7 years|
|Salary Range||$33.54 hourly|
The City of Waterloo has a full-time HVAC/R 313A & Gas Technician 1 available in the Facilities Design Management division. The successful candidate will work 40 hours per week. Shift work may be required based upon operational requirements, including evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Perform preventive, emergency and corrective maintenance repairs on mechanical operating equipment, building environmental systems, building envelope, and grounds at various City facilities with the objective to meet the requirements of a safe, efficient and reliable workplace
- Carry out complete maintenance and repairs on all building systems and operating equipment, including but not limited to: heating ventilation and air conditioning systems (HVAC), associated water treatment systems, air handling and exhaust systems, gas fired make-up air equipment , gas fired steam and hot water boilers and related equipment, gas fired suspended unit heaters, circulation pumps, electronic and gas fired humidification systems, and associated gas fired hot water recovery systems, chillers and cooling tower systems (refrigeration plants), heat pumps
- Troubleshoot problem areas within facilities and buildings to identify cause of failure and determine course of action; implement appropriate solutions
- Perform demand, corrective, emergency, and makes necessary mechanical repairs on building operating equipment (e.g., replacing bearings, pumps, motors, fans, pulleys, shafts)
- Work in conjunction with Community Services staff, monitor and operate building automation systems (BAS), low voltage lighting control systems, and other associated computerized systems, and make adjustments as necessary to meet occupant or system requirements
- Maintain equipment history files and log service work in Maximo for all equipment
- Work with supervisor to procure parts or service in accordance to corporate purchasing by-laws
- Participate in the evaluation of products, equipment, and methods used in safe facility maintenance and operation by working in conjunction with the supervisor
- Respond to staff concerns regarding mechanical equipment maintenance, upkeep of buildings and property, and climate control of individual zones
- Participate in the implementation of energy management programs by scheduling BAS and lighting control system to reduce equipment and lighting operating hours and still provide for occupant needs. Recommend energy efficiencies (e.g., operating strategy alternatives, product improvements, scheduling improvements)
- Must be willing to participate in an apprenticeship program as a mentor, as applicable
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Minimum Grade 12 education or equivalent
- Experience related to the duties listed above, normally acquired through the completion of a Grade 12 diploma and 5-7 years industrial/ commercial experience with commercial mechanical equipment and systems
- Must hold a Ministry of Labour, Training, and Skills Development Certificate of Qualification as a 313A HVAC/R Mechanic
- Must hold a valid Certificate of Authorization in Ozone Depletion Protection (ODP)
- Preference will be given to candidates holding TSSA certification as a Gas Technician 1, however candidates possessing Gas Technician 2 certification who are willing to obtain their Gas Technician 1 certification within a reasonable time frame will be considered
- Must hold or be willing to obtain valid TSSA certification as a Refrigeration Operator Class “B” within one (1) year of being posted in the position
- Must be able to demonstrate a high level knowledge of: refrigeration equipment, pumps, motors, HVAC equipment, non-potable water treatment processes and testing, a variety of electrical components, basic plumbing, ice making and related safety regulations
- Must have strong mathematical skills and basic understanding of thermodynamic and electrical laws
- OWWA/AWWA Backflow Prevention certification would be considered an asset
- Certified Pool Operator (CPO) certificate would be considered an asset
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written) with the ability to deal with internal and external contacts in a courteous and efficient manner
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, technical drawings and specifications
- Willing to gain experience in report writing, record keeping, budget input, parts / inventory control
- Knowledge with the maintenance and operation of instrumentation, BAS, and DDC computer control systems
- Able to work constructively in a team environment or act independently as required exercising good judgment and safe and appropriate maintenance practices and procedures
- Physical ability to perform all activities in this area of work (i.e. lifting, walking, climbing, pushing and pulling, working in all types of weather conditions, working above ground level and in confined spaces) and must be able to pass a physical examination if required
- Basic computer skills using Microsoft Office (Word and Excel)
- Experience with MMS computer system (Maximo) would be an asset
- Practical knowledge of the Occupational Health and Safety Act and regulations
- Must have a valid MTO ‘G’ class driver’s licence in good standing with driver’s abstract acceptable to the City is required to perform the job
- A satisfactory Police Criminal Records and Judicial Matters Check will be required as a condition of hire
Training Requirements: Supplementary training related to the Business Unit may be required after hire (i.e. TSSA Brazing Certification, Cross Connection Control Inspection and Testing (OWWA), Transportation of Dangerous Goods, Arc Flash, Life Safety Systems, Confined Space Training, Health and Safety, Environmental, First Aid, Facility Equipment Operation, Workplace Hazardous Materials Information Systems (WHMIS), Employee Safety Awareness, Forklift Operation, Lift Operation and Safety, Propane Safety and Handling, Chlorine and Ammonia Handling etc.) Please Note: Employees will be responsible to ensure that their certificates and licenses are current.
*Hours of Work: Hours of work will generally be scheduled between Monday and Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. with some flexibility and overtime required. The City reserves the right to implement shift work, as operationally required, in accordance with the applicable Collective Agreement. Shifts will be scheduled between the hours of 7:00 AM and 11:00 PM, Monday through Sunday.
Interested and qualified candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter in one document through the online application process. For posting and application details please visit: www.waterloo.ca/careers
Interested and Qualified internal CUPE candidates may submit a CUPE Internal Job Posting Application through the online application process or directly to Human Resources, 100 Regina St. South, by 4:00 on the closing date.
Be you @ Waterloo
At the City of Waterloo, we are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that represents the community we so proudly serve. All interested and qualified candidates, including Indigenous persons, Black persons, non-Black racialized persons/persons of colour, women, persons with disabilities, 2SLGBTQ+ and those interested in joining our team are encouraged to apply.
The City of Waterloo is committed to creating and maintaining a workplace that is welcoming, inclusive, and barrier-free. Accommodations in accordance with the Human Rights Code and other applicable legislation are available throughout all stages of the recruitment process. For accommodation during the application process, applicants are requested to make their needs known via email at firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the position and competition number. Applicants advanced through to subsequent stages of the recruitment process will be provided with additional opportunities to make their needs known.